Built in the late 1830’s, this historical building is one of Huron County’s oldest structures. Thomas Mercer Jones, the first Commissioner of the Canada Company and his wife moved to Goderich in 1843 and lived in this Georgian-style home, which was once referred to as “The Castle”.
The garden beds and spacious lawns were a sight to behold. This home was the centre of lavish dinner parties, balls and garden parties. This impressive residence had 10 magnificent fireplaces, some constructed from imported Italian marble, which heated many bedrooms and drawing rooms. In 1895 an agreement was signed by the Canada Company to sell four of the lots which comprised the company’s property, including the home. The gracious home of Mr. and Mrs. Jones became a railroad hotel, known as Maitland House. On December 9, 1945 a fire destroyed the roof and top floor of the hotel which was then rebuilt with a flat roof.
In the spring of 1976 the hotel was purchased and renamed the Harbour Park Inn. It is the oldest building standing in Goderich today, a reminder of the vision of the men of the Canada Company and the early settlers of Huron County. Over the years, this building has undergone many changes but one thing remains, The Park House is a friendly meeting place filled with atmosphere, overlooking beautiful Lake Huron where unforgettable Goderich sunsets can be seen. Enjoy your visit.
©2017 All Rights Reserved. Design by bryce sunrise & ruralroutes.com